Saturday, December 20, 2008

Oh, Sleepy James!


Image taken from http://www.galleri-groholter.com/page3.htm


Story behind this short story: To be honest, I don't quite remember now why this story was written. All I know is that it is yet another incompleted story of mine, the ending to which you can decide for yourself....


Sleepy James lay still as a log. He had been sleeping like that for hours.

Slowly, he began to arouse from his deep slumber. His eyes were blurred with sleep. His head felt as heavy as an anvil.

"Oh, is it morning already?" he groaned as he checked the clock on his work table.

He slowly lifted his head and threw away the covers. He set his feet on the floor and stood up. He rubbed the sleep from his eyes.

He looked around. His parents were still asleep. He decided not to wake them up.

James made his way into the kitchen. He decided to make some toast.

The minute he put the bread in the toaster, his head sunk into his chair and instantly, he fell asleep.

Out of nowhere, teh most delightful dream floated in James' head. He dreamed of pancakes with warm golden syrup dripping from them, and a huge plate of bacon and eggs. James was sitting down to this mouth-watering meal, when suddenly the dream halted.

James had woken up to the smell of burned toast....

4 comments:

princess maleiha bajunaid candao said...

James quickly fixed his mess and savored what is available for breakfast. He decided to do something good for today..

What do you think will James do?

Raymond Teodo a.k.a. was_bedeutet_jemanden said...

Maybe, James could be trying to catch the bus to work, but he falls asleep at the bus stop and misses the bus. Maybe I could do a whole scenario where the poor guy misses out on so many opportunities that day, because he has fallen asleep. Maybe the story could be symbolic, how we miss out on so many opportunities to help others out along the way because we are not awake to the problems lying around us? What do you think?

June Saville said...

Ray I loved this. Perhaps one day you will develop it. I'd love to know more about James and why he felt so sleepy ... And I liked your twist - it made me think.

I like your ideas too - they could work very well. I like the thought about symbolism.

Have you taken a peak at my short stories on Journeys in Creative Writing? And thanks for visiting 70 Plus.
June also in Oz

Raymond Teodo a.k.a. was_bedeutet_jemanden said...

Sorry for the late reply June! I didn't realize you commented until now..... Yes, I have visited your blog site a few times, and I enjoy reading your short stories! :-)

I can't wait until the day when I can finally sit down and embellish on my incompleted stories... Hopefully when my exams are over and I can finally take a break! :-)